The school dates its origins to 1817 when there was founded in Ashford the 'Sunday School Charity'. Various sums of money were advanced by local benefactors amounting to £350. One of these benefactors was Zachariah Foxall, who bequeathed by his will the sum of £100. Out of the Sunday School grew the Day School for teaching 'the three Rs'. Until 1867, when the lease expired, the school was housed in a temporary timber structure on Feltham Hill Road.
In 1865, a piece of land was given by James Mann Esq, Lord of the Manor of Ashford, for the erection of a permanent building upon a site in Denton Road, now called School Road. This piece of land was given 'in perpetuity for the provision of a school building'.
In January 1868 the Ashford National School possessed a house of its own. The new building was erected at a cost of £979.
In 1878 an additional classroom was built at a cost of £123, raised in the parish by the means of Vestry Rate at 6d in the pound. The building was further extended in 1883 due to a growing number of children in the parish.
In 1873 Mr Cornelius Lockington was appointed as Headmaster. In his time the numbers of children continued to grow. An entry in the school log book for May 1st 1899 tells us that there was insufficient desk accommodation for all the children in attendance. Mr Lockington retired in November 1903 but gave useful assistance as a Manager for some years after giving up as Headmaster.
Following the passing of the Education Act 1902, the school came under the authority of the Middlesex Education Committee. On June 1st 1903 the first Foundation Managers were elected.
In 1923 the school was again enlarged by the addition of three classrooms. The playing field was also provided at this time.
The record of the war-time days is one of broken attendance, interrupted sessions and of 'Alerts' and 'Raiders Passed'. The log books provide fascinating reading for this time. The school closed on May 8th and 9th 1945 to celebrate VE Day.
The Parent Teacher Association was inaugurated in 1945. Mr Howard, who had been a member of the Board of Managers of the school since 1928, was the first President.
The school underwent many changes in the succeeding years with major building development between 1958 and 1975. This included the hall, kitchen and classrooms at the rear of the building being built. Changes to the building continue to be made even up to the present day as we constantly strive to meet the needs of the children in the best way possible.
Although the school continues to grow and develop, we maintain links with our past through the names of the Houses to which the children belong during their time at the school. The Houses are Foxall, Mann, Lockington and Howard. These important people from the school's history are also commemorated in our school song which was written by a former member of staff.
The Right Reverend and Right Honourable Richard Chartres KCVO, Lord Bishop of London, visited Ashford CE Primary School on Tuesday 18th September 2012 to tour the school after the latest stage of its refurbishment and renewal. Read more about his visit here.